Sunday, October 03, 2010

1999


At the tail end of the '90s, I was obsessed with ye olde stalwarts of the indie world, Stereolab (RIP Mary), Yo La Tengo, The Sea and Cake, Tortoise, Trans Am, and Sonic Youth. I used to trudge through the snow to the record store 5 blocks from my apartment in Minneapolis and promptly spend all of my money on indie rock CD's (this was a departure from the mid-90s when I used to trudge through the snow to the record store and spend all of my money on bad house and trance CD's).

I heard Eureka by the amazing and multi-talented Sonic Youth collaborator, Jim O'Rourke, playing in the record store one day and instantly fell in love. It was warm and interesting, poppy with a lot of texture. It became the soundtrack to my life for several months. Two highlights of Eureka that I still can't get enough of are the first track, Women of the World, clocking in at over 8 minutes with only one lyrical stanza, a repetition of the phrase, "Women of the world take over, cuz if you don't the world will come to an end, it won't take long." The other track I love is the cover of Burt Bacharach's Something Big. The female backing vocals absolutely make this song and although it stays pretty close to the original, it still has Jim's stamp on it.

When I listen to the album now, it brings me right back to that time: moderately depressed and spending every evening after work lying on the floor of my one-room apartment smoking Marlboro Reds listening to my new musical purchases (and, yes, this could be a glimpse back into any year of my life, but, the Marlboro Reds are unique to this time period).

And, how about that album cover above, eh??

Jim O'Rourke - Women of the World


Jim O'Rourke - Something Big

No comments: